Sunday, June 20, 2010

Re-Entry Stress

I am having re-entry stress. It's so weird to be home and yet very nice to be in clean, clean Brookline. I feel kinda out of it. Like, slightly off-kilter, yet not being able to put my finger on it. I feel so slow to respond to people, like I am in slow motion. But it's like something doesn't feel quite right. Just a little out of place...

Jackie asked me if people were friendly there. Yes. So friendly. It's kinda like in India, people aren't so friendly initially, but once you break through the ice, they welcome you with open arms and you are family, and treated as such. In America, it's the opposite. People are so friendly, and then the closer you get, the harder it is know them. Then you encounter the iceberg. Perhaps it's not true, you can dispute me on it. The thing with Americans is that at least you kinda know what to expect. There is just so much more love and heart in India, I don't know why. I mean, I think acts of service really moved up on my 5 Love Languages list, because in India, there is a motto/cultural paradigm "Guests are Gods." I SURE LOVED BEING A GUEST IN INDIA!!! Here in the States, people forget to even offer you a glass of water, or even expect you to do the dishes in their home! Okay, maybe not, but that's what it felt like. I'd give a dime to hear your opinions on this one!

I miss the intimacy that people have in India. I miss Riya, with her loud, intrusive behavior that was all up in my bizness, yet felt so loving and caring, because she was instructing me on "the way to be a proper Hindu slash Indian woman." And I SOOO miss little Karuna, who didn't talk to me for like a week, and then she kept rolling onto my mattress (we had five very thin rollout mattresses laid out side by side in our hostel ((which is what they call dorms in India)). She was my girl. I miss all the closeness and warmth.

Driving on the highway is insane. Actually, driving in Boston is a little like driving in India, so I feel slightly at home on the road. I hate being in the passenger seat with my father, though, his foot is so heavy on the break.

Father's Day was really nice. Calvary Christ Church, first time at church in U.S. (I know, I can't believe I missed two Sundays). Pretty good service, got a free black mug filled with goodies! I loved how real and honest the pastor's dad was during his sermon. Went for a swim after crashing for a three hour nap. Her pool was so cold, yet refreshing. I loved meeting her neighbors. 4 year olds are so honest, I absolutely love it. (He said he saw me eating dog food. ha ha ha. Not true, but funny, nonetheless.)

No comments:

Post a Comment